2022 Chicago International Music Competition and Festival
Competition: May 8, 2022
Festival: July 1, 2022
Chicago International Music Competition aims to find and cultivate a new generation of music talents in the world and to promote the development of classical music and cultural exchange.
Chicago International Music Competition is a platform for students to shine! The events are more than a competition but special cultural events that serve to broaden students’ cultural awareness and heighten their own expectations.
The competition will be adorned with a knowledgeable, world-class jury. Students will also have the opportunity to study in an intensive summer program with star faculty from all over the world.
The total prize money for the 2022 competition will exceed $25,000! This year we will offer many more special prizes as well as prizes for each age group. The application deadline is May 8, 2022. The competition results will be announced on our website on June 12, 2022.
Compete on a National and International Level
Festival concert & Workshops, Seminars
Platform to Launch Your Own Successful Career
CIMC General Information
– Application deadline: May 8, 2022
– Competition result: June 12, 2022
– Application deadline: July 1, 2022
|In-person||Jul 16-22, 2022|
|Online||Jul 25-31, 2022|
|Online||Aug 1-8, 2022|
* The In-person festival will be held at Wheaton College, Chicago
Each festival participant will receive four private lessons, three workshops, seminars, discussions with our faculty, and all in-person participants will perform in festival concerts!
There are scholarships available for the festival!
|Grand prizes||Professional||Rising Star|
* All winners of Grand Prize will also get Diploma: Eligible to enter the Società Umanitaria International Musical Competition Semifinal
Thousands of dollars in prizes including an exclusive recording contract, worldwide concert opportunities, and cash prizes! The CIMC also offers all competitors the chance to work with the competition’s renowned faculty.
Within each competition classification (i.e. age range), awards will be given for First, Second, Third, and Honorable Mention/s. Winners shall receive a certain amount of cash as well as a certificate.
Special Prizes and Prizes for each Division and Age Group are $100
The 2022 Chicago International Music Competition is thrilled to announce its jury including some of the greatest pianists and artist teachers such as Yoheved Kaplinsky, Boris Slutsky, Hung-Kuan Chen, Kristen Lewis, and many great artists in the world.
THIS YEAR COMPETITION IS FROM HOME
About Artista & CIMC
Artista’s mission is to build the confidence of our talented young Vietnamese musicians and artists through music by increasing their competitiveness on an international stage through our music competitions and festivals. We will give Vietnamese youth musicians a chance to compete on a national and international stage and learn about new cultures through music and art.
Artista has worked very hard to bring CIMC preliminary round to Vietnam for the second time from the United States. Artista’s founder Teresa Bui has over 15 years of experience in music education, and selects and curates musical education programs from around the world that fit into the culture of the Vietnamese Aesthetic. Artista’s goal is to provide value and elevate music education in Vietnam, by offering Vietnamese young performers a chance to compete on an international stage.
1. The Chicago International Music Competition and Festival is open to musicians of all nationalities and all levels.
2. The Competition has two categories: Rising Star Category and Professional Category.
3. The Competition has two divisions: Solo Division and Ensemble Division. The Solo Division includes the Instrumental and Vocal Divisions.
4. If applying for more than one division, applicants must complete separate applications and pay the required fees for *each* individual division.
5. Participants in all age groups/divisions may choose to participate in both solo and ensemble categories.
6. The 2022 Chicago International Music Competition will be held online in which all applicants will be adjudicated by video submission. The online competition application deadline is May 8, 2022. The results will be announced on our website on June 12, 2022.
7. The festival will be held both in-person and online.
– The in-person festival will be held at Wheaton College, Chicago from July16-22.
– The online festival will be held from July 25-August 8, 2022, including two sessions: Session I is from July 25-31, Session II is from August 1-8. Participants may choose to enter either one of them or both.
– The festival application deadline (for both in-person and online) is July 1, 2022
8. Each festival participant will receive four private lessons, three workshops, seminars, discussions, with our faculty, and all in-person participants will perform in festival concerts.
9. Participants may choose to participate in both the competition and festival or only participate in either
Rising Star Category
– All works must be performed by memory in the Solo Divisions.
– Within reason, works should avoid repeats.
– No changes to the program are permitted once the application form has been received.
– The decisions of the Jury are final and not subject to review or appeal.
– The Jury is permitted to award the same numerical ranking to several contestants. In the event of a tie, the Jury may divide the monetary prize equally between the prizewinners.
– Pieces may be recorded separately or in one take.
– The total duration should include breaks between pieces
– High quality video recordings are highly recommended.
– The camera must be stationary for the video. Performer’s hands and face must be visible during the recording.
1. Solo Instrumental Division
- String Solo – Violin / Viola / Cello
- Piano Solo
- Woodwind Solo – Flute / Oboe / Clarinet / Saxophone
- Brass Solo – Trumpet/Trombone/Tuba
- Percussion Solo
Rising Star Category Repertoire Requirements Participants must perform two self-chosen works: any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
Professional Category Repertoire Requirements Participants must perform four self-chosen works: any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
2. Solo Vocal Division
Vocal Solo Participant may choose songs from the following repertoire categories:
- Classical repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods)
- Broadway/Musical Theatre/Jazz
Rising Star Category Repertoire Requirements Participant must perform two self-chosen works: any work of any composer and any genre
Professional Category Repertoire Requirements Participant must perform four self-chosen works: any work of any composer and any genre
3. Ensemble Division
- Woodwind Ensemble
- Harp Chamber & Harp Ensemble
- Percussion Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble/Band
- Guitar Ensemble
- Piano Duet / Four Hands/Piano Trio
- String Ensemble
- Vocal Duo
Rising Star Category Repertoire Requirements
- Instrumental Ensemble Group must perform two self-chosen works: any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
- Vocal Ensemble Group must perform one or two self-chosen works: any work of any composer and any genre.
Professional Category Repertoire Requirements
- Instrumental Ensemble Group must perform four works from different periods. Any work of any composer from the Baroque period, the Classical period, the Romantic period, and the Modern period.
- Vocal Ensemble Group must perform four self-chosen works: any work of any composer and any genre.
A) Instrumental / Vocal Solo Category
- Rising Star Category $150
- Professional Category $200
B) Chamber Category – Duo / Trio / Quartet
- Rising Star Category $200
- Professional Category $300
C) Orchestra $350
D) Choir (Per Ensemble)
- $300 (up to 12 people)
- $400 (up to 24 people)
- $500 (more than 25 people)
* Application fees are nonrefundable. Please read the general information and regulations carefully before filling out the application form.
Tuition For In-Person Festival Participants: $2,300
Tuition For Online Festival Participants: $1,200
International Non-Participant (parents/ guardians) Accommodations Fee: $1,600 (include room and board, airport transportation, free attendance to all CIMC events, airport transportation, and translation fees).
Each festival participant will receive four private lessons, three workshops, seminars, faculty discussions, etc.
All in-person participants will perform on festival concerts.
* All fees are nonrefundable, except for cases related to VISA assessment
** Please contact Artista for more information about the trip to Chicago for In-person Festival.
How to Apply to CIMC 2022
1. Complete Online Application
Fields marked with ” * ” are mandatory.
Competition: May 8, 2022
Festival: July 1, 2022
2. Application Fees
Note: It is required to pay the application fee and submit the receipt of the payment *before* you fill out the application form.
3. Submit Required Videos
A) Rising Star Category, 2 Videos
B) Professional Category, 4 Videos
Video Recording Instruction
1. Video should have a minimum resolution of 720 pixels.
2. Video format in mp4
3. No editing is allowed.
4. Participant has to show their Identity Card / Passport (the page with personal info) by holding it up facing camera for 5 seconds for verification.
5. Camera distance between 1 to 1.5m to ensure good sound quality.
6. Video angle should be taken from the side (right or left). Pianist: between 0-45 degrees from the piano, showing the performer’s two hands and the full keyboard.
Video Uploading on Youtube Instruction:
Video guide: https://youtu.be/klVWGHtRTuE
Age Classifications (Solo Division)
Year of birth
4-6 years old
Young musician I
Born after Jun 30th, 2015
7-9 years old
Young musician II
Born after Jun 30th, 2012
10-12 years old
Young musician III
Born after Jun 30th, 2009
13-14 years old
Young Artist I
Born after Jun 30th, 2007
15-17 years old
Young Artist II
Born after Jun 30th, 2004
18 and above
Concert Artist group
Born before May 8th, 2004
Age Classifications (Ensemble)
12 and under
13-17 years old
18 and above
Note: Ensemble or Band participant’s age group is based on the average age of all participants. For example, the average age of the Young Artist Category is no older than 12 years. The average age of Youth Artist Category is no older than 17 years.
Contestants Must Comply To The Following Rules:
- Contestants must perform from memory or be disqualified.
- The results of the Final round will be determined by ballot with no discussion among the jury, cast a single time for each age group. After counting the ballots, the ordered winners within each age group shall be determined.
- Competitors are asked to eliminate repeats in most cases.
- The decisions of the jury are final. Competitors must accept the results without condition or protest.
- The Competition and Artista maintains copyright of all video, audio, and photographs taken during the competition period and retains legal usage rights of video, audio, and photographs.